Well, this post is probably a month or more overdue. Things have been crazy lately — every week has found me running around like mad just trying to get everything done. Translation = I’ve neglected some things. If only there were 28 hours in a day… I mean, I’m confident I could get everything done then.
Anyway, over the past few weeks I have had the honor of being nominated for the Liebster Award by 3 very gracious bloggers. I was (and am) extremely flattered of course. It’s always cool to receive an award, right? But I think I find these nominations so special because I am so new to the blogging world — it’s so rewarding for fellow bloggers to acknowledge your blog and bring attention to it. It’s a good, validating feeling – you think, maybe I am doing something right with this after all!
So, a huge shout out to April from the The Fancy Lady, Ryna at TheVivaciousChic and Amy from Crocs Are Awful. Please be sure to check out their blogs. They each have their own unique take on fashion (as we all do of course) and offer some great fashion tips and ideas.
Now, for the rules….
1) Post eleven facts about yourself
2) Answer the questions the tagger has set for you and create eleven questions for people you’ve nominated
3) Choose eleven people to give this award to (with fewer than 200 followers) and link them in your post
4) Go to their page and tell them
5) Remember, no tag backs
Eleven facts about me:
- One of my favorite all time movies is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I’ve watched it like a gazillion times.
- My birthday is next week and I’ll be 39. I always get super excited for my birthday no matter how old I am! Of course because it’s the best day ever. It’s like your own personal holiday.
- I really can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke. I prefer Pepsi.
- My younger brother and sister in law are expecting their first baby in January. I can’t wait, I’m already buying stuff. Like “Greatest Aunt Ever” Onesies!
- I have a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do. Of course, I haven’t done anything with it in like 5 years but I do have it!
- If there is a Law&Order marathon on tv — I’m watching it.
- If I could be an athlete, I’d run track and field. I’m so fascinated by the speed. Amazing.
- I played the saxophone in the band during school.
- Right now my playlist is a rotation of Usher, Rihanna, Adele and Kanye West.
- I just got the new iPhone 5 yesterday. Loving it. Siri and I are BFF’s.
- I’ve fallen in love with Bond No. 9 Perfume. Madison Square Park. The smell is intoxicating.
Questions from Amy – Crocs Are Awful:
- If you could go back in time what era would you pick and why? Probably the 70’s. Such a revolutionary time – so much change. And of course, for the fashion.
- If you had to be part of a girly pop band what one would it be and why? Destiny’s Child. Positive image and lyrics. They’ve always had it together. And how can you pass up the chance to work with Beyonce?
- Can you bake your favourite cake? I can, the question is… would it taste good??
- What is your TV guilty pleasure? Love and Hip Hop Atlanta. Mindless reality TV but it is SO entertaining!
- What is your earliest fashion memory? Wow… this is a hard one. I remember my Mom giving me one of her Aigner handbags when I was maybe 12 or 13 and being super excited. It was probably my first real experience with a “designer” item.
- Do you belong to a big social group or lots of smaller ones? Lots of smaller ones. I am an introvert by nature so I’m more comfortable in smaller more intimate settings.
- Who are you closest to in life? This one is hard. I would say probably my Mom or my brother.
- How do you relax? Shopping!
- Given the choices of country break, city break or beach holiday which would you pick and why? Beach holiday. I love the water. There is something so peaceful about a day on the beach – just listening to the waves crash. It’s my perfect getaway.
- Where is your least favourite place to spend time? The doctor’s office. I always have major anxiety, no matter why I am there.
- What is the most expensive cosmetic you have ever bought, then never really used!? Probably perfume… I’ve purchased some rather expensive ones — only to find after a couple of tries — that I really don’t like them. Bummer…
My questions for my nominees:
- If you could go back in time and meet any one person, who would it be and why?
- What is your biggest fear?
- How do you define fashion?
- What is your favorite destination and why?
- What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?
- Who is your favorite designer and why?
- If you could live in any city in the world, where would that be?
- Which is your favorite holiday of the year?
- What do you enjoy the most about blogging?
- What is your go to look to wear out for a night of fun?
- What is your favorite animal?
- Chic in Disguise
- Vodka Infused Lemonade
- Always Fashionably Kate
- Good Rubber Bands
- The Button Up Blog
- Maxx and CoCo
- a la Clarice
- Closet Strategy
Pass on the love everyone!!
First off, I must apologize to everyone for being a bit absent this week from the blog world. This was my busiest week in a LONG time and I just had no time at all to write. I found myself going through a bit of withdrawal to be honest but thank goodness the week is over — and I’m back!
So, how do you close out the craziest week ever you ask?
Well, by going to the Friday Night Show of Charlotte Fashion Week of course!!! Yep, me and my girlfriends decided to venture out for our first ever Charlotte Fashion Week sponsored by Charlotte Seen. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect (and even less sure about what to wear) but I must admit that the night and event turned out pretty good overall. I ultimately decided on a somewhat simple black and white look – with some leopard print added on for a touch of “flair”. The only real snag of the evening was getting into the show and going through the seating process — all of which was a little “unorganized” shall we say. We stood in line for an extended period of time (nearly an hour total)– and for no apparent reason — which wasn’t very fun with 5 inch heels on. But feet pain aside — all else was enjoyable.
The show was hosted at the NC Music Factory in the Reelworks Studio which was, I must say, a fabulous venue. Of course I’ve never been to Bryant Park ever but I felt a little like I had a taste of it last night… Charlotte style. Runway shows have been happening every night since the event kicked off Wednesday, with a close out show happening Saturday night. Each night was themed and our show featured some of Charlotte’s top emerging designers.
Below are some of my favorite designers and looks.
From KSH Couture (first 2 photos): These looks were full of color – festive, fun and girly. Definitely one of my favorites.
From Cigi Cuz (5th photo): This dress was so fab – my photo doesn’t do it justice honestly. It was simple yet very glam. This look was in particular one of my favorites. It just screams night out with the girls!!
All in all, we had a fabulous time and there were lots of great looks from some up and coming designers. And of course, who can pass up an opportunity to be on the red carpet for goodness sake?
What do you think? I’d love to hear which looks are your favorites….
What I’m Wearing: Kenya L. Designs Blazer, Corset and Skinny Pants by Victoria’s Secret, Kelsi Dagger Leopard Print Stilettos, Versona Accessories, Express Animal Print Clutch
So, those of you who have been reading the blog since the beginning may remember my very first post. I shared a lot of my reasoning for starting the blog in that first post… My main purpose at the time was to develop a “journal” of my journey to design and create a line of custom blazers. It’s been some months since then and a couple of interesting things have happened.
First off, I haven’t done a very good job of journaling my milestones along the way. I think the real reason is simply…. I discovered that I love to blog about lots of other things too. I love to write. And going through this process; designing and producing the blazers, blogging about fashion and style, feeling so much support and encouragement from the blogging community, from my friends and family, becoming a part of the blogging community… well, that’s been the best part of it all. This blog has become so much more than about my design dreams. It’s become about me discovering what I love again. And enjoying every moment of it. I love where I am right now. It feels good. Really good. My lesson — always do what you love. Always.
Anyway, now that I’ve gotten all the mushy stuff out of the way…. you should know that my first production set of blazers is ready for launch!!
I am starting small, of course, but it is a start. I’m prepping my Etsy store (and SO many other things) as we speak. I plan to open it within the next 2 weeks. (And don’t worry, I’ll definitely be posting about that). Still a lot more to do but super excited about this great milestone. More to come.
Ok, so you’ve probably noticed that my last few outfit posts have featured me in various areas of my home. While I am sure you are all captivated by the excitement of my home *yawn* I was determined to make my next outfit post in some other location. Now, keep in mind that I am normally at the mercy of friends when it comes to having an official photographer and unfortunately circumstances/availability just haven’t worked out the past few posts.
Sooooo…. my mission yesterday was to take photos outside. But a funny thing happened…. it was dark outside by the time I was ready to take the photos!!! Doggone it! I love fall and all but the one downside is definitely the loss of sunlight daily.
But determined not to be foiled I STILL took the photos. Ha! Take that daylight savings!
Now, you probably remember this dress from my Labor Day Haul post. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it on the rack. It has a great color palette – perfect for fall, and an interesting pattern/unique twist on the current crazy polka dot trend. First off, the polka dots are HUGE – which makes it very cool! But of course, I’ve never been huge on polka dots… ( at least not since the late 80’s/early 90’s when I was going through my Kwame phase — **in my singing voice “Only You“!!!!) but I love that this trend re-mix is more than just about black and white. I’m absolutely loving it a lot. And this dress was a simple way to dig into it more.
What I’m Wearing: Maggy London Dress, Halogen Open Toe Heels, J. Crew Necklace, Versona Accessories.
Ok, so I know I’m probably behind the 8 ball on this one (that is the saying right?) but I think I really like rose gold. If you read my last post, you know I just grabbed up a Marc by Marc Jacobs rose gold watch. Now, I admit… I was somewhat skeptical about rose gold initially. I mean it’s been on my list and on my mind for quite awhile but there was something about it that I just could not buy in to. I kept feeling like it wouldn’t match. I am certainly a big gold person (even though I haven’t always been that either) but again, the rose gold thing just felt like it wouldn’t work. I had a good “heart to heart” with the girl at the jewelry counter about it and boy am I glad I did! I was completely wrong!
So, here is the interesting thing. I was completely running late on yesterday morning. I hadn’t done my typical nightly routine the night before to get my outfit and jewelry together so the easy thing for me to do was to grab one of my dresses from the Labor Day Haul. And then it dawned on me…. hmmm… the rose gold watch might really work well with this. I tried it and simply loved it. And it makes sense. Jewel tones are big this fall, right? The dress had rich reds, blues and greens in it. So why not add the ultimate jewel tone — a rose gold watch! Love it.
What I’m Wearing: Eliza J Dress, Marco Santi Booties, Louis Vuitton Damier Neverfull, Marc by Marc Jacobs Watch, Nordstrom Rack Accessories
What’s your favorite jewelry tone? Gold, Silver, Rose Gold??? Let me know.
With Labor Day being the official “end” of summer, it always feels appropriate to get some good ole fashioned shopping in. (Of course, I generally find any reason to go shopping but let’s not focus on that too much.) Anyway, I love Labor Day shopping. It’s the best time of year… a perfect transition shopping day…. most stores are offering great deals as they try to rid themselves of their last summer items but many of the sales and great prices apply to fall items as well. So, it’s a great time to spruce up your fall wardrobe. It’s the best of both worlds… Yay!!
Now, my family was actually in town this past weekend visiting… and believe it or not… everyone in my family is a shopper. Yep, everyone!! From my Mom, to my Dad (yes, that’s right – my Dad) to my brother and now to my Sister in Law. Isn’t that great? And what better place for a family bonding moment than Nordstrom Rack, right?? RIGHT….
Anyway, everyone knows that I love The Rack. My biggest problem now is I love it too much. I always end up spending so much more than I plan to. It is a definite problem. But a good one to have no less…. and an even better one to share with the fam. Ahh…. family bonding…. gotta love it!!!
Ok, so here is my haul….
(The good thing is — I was able to check off a couple of long standing items from my lust list…)
- I had been searching since last year for a great cognac moto jacket. I saw the perfect one by Blanc Noir and just had to grab it up. You’ll definitely see more of this in later blogs.
- I also picked up some chic leopard print flats by Tesori and some taupe Marco Santi ankle boots.
- 2 great work dresses – Orange and Brown print by Maggy London and Tribal Print by Eliza J.
- a Rose Gold Watch by Marc by Marc Jacobs (I’ve been considering adding a rose gold watch to my collection for awhile — this one definitely closed the deal and yes, I know the box is upside down… I was too lazy to take another photo)
- a Red and Blue Polka Dot Top by Collection Concert
- And finally… the most ultra glam ankle booties ever by Vince Camuto (I had actually finished shopping – or so I thought – saw these and just had to take them home. I mean you just cannot see these booties and walk away — you just can’t. And be sure — you will certainly see these again in future blogs)
Ok, so aside from further confirmation that I have a shopping addiction (I’m a little embarrassed to be honest but no need in hiding it now)… What do you think? How did you spend your long weekend? Enjoy the day!